cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] short short anti-tpm

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <teloscorbin AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] short short anti-tpm
  • Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:34:10 -0400

On 10/5/06, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts
<cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:
Terry wrote:

> just means the TPM wrapper recognizes a hash-signature on the content).
> OTOH, this is probably a lot more work for Dave than producing a generic
> wrapper, so maybe it's enough of a deterrant.

Most, if not all multimedia file formats have space for comments. DAVE
DRM Monopolist could simply toss an encrypted digital signature in one
of those comment fields, and neglect to mention that the hardware only
plays content that has that digital signature. And have the error that
is displayed be somewhat cryptic (EG: "RLE Data error"), so that people
think that the file is corrupt, and not simply lacking the required
digital signature.

If the signature in the content prevents it from being played,
it can be considered a technological protection measure that
restricts the rights to the work, and violates teh anti-TPM license.

Dave would have to send a clear copy of the work to Alice,
and then some sort of DRM-er that adds the signature to the
work that Alice can run on her side.

anti-TPM does not prevent this. But parallel distribution doesn't
either, and parallel distribution allows other monopolies that
anti-TPM prevents.

As for Alice applying DRM to the work on her local copy,
I equate that with Dave sending Alice a proprietary binary
library, some GNU-GPL source code, adn a make file
that builds the two together. This has been allowed in GPL
for a long time, and I see no reason it would be a problem
if it were allowed with DRM.

To prevent it would require preventing Alice from applying
DRM to her local copy, and that seems a step too far.

Greg