cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: MJ Ray <mjr AT phonecoop.coop>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Subject: Re: Version 3.0 - List Discussion Responses
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 22:05:45 +0100

rob at robmyers.org wrote: [...]
> One solution for CC and Debian, based on the Scottish license language
> that MJ Ray has mentioned, would be for CC to allow only ineffective
> DRM to be applied. This would be DRM where blanket permission to
> circumvent has been given *by the DRM vendor*, as is included in the
> GPL-3.

or where the DRM does not restrict the recipient, or other situations
we're probably not clever enough to think up ourselves.

> This would mean that GPL-3 DRM can be used on CC work, and would be a
> synergy of the kind I have in mind between code and content. It would
> also not restrict Free Software hackers from using CC work freely even
> with those DRM systems, which would answer Debian's concerns.

I think it would.

[...]
> If Debian are proved right that CC licenses cannot prevent DRM and will only
> reduce freedom, that can be tackled when it becomes a problem.

We seem to agree on the basic requirements of freedom to enjoy, study,
adapt and share, so why should it need blood before this loose cannon of
anti-TPM language is secured?

If the pro-format-discrimination voices persuade CC to again refuse to
fix an obvious *potential* problem before it becomes an *actual*
problem, so causing overloaded volunteers yet more work, then I think
that's inconsiderate beyond belief.

I wish I knew the detail of any other reasons for CC's formal rejection
of source distribution as an option. Complexity can be handled by
importing a past solution from a working CC licence. The effectiveness
against monopolies is well-known from the GPL. Practical problems like
the size required for two copies will be reduced with time and also
provide a strong incentive for non-TPM systems. Where's the beef?

> But the genie cannot be put back in the bottle. A bit like that
> official trademark Debian have that isn't DFSG-free.

IMO, it's fairly obvious how to fix that one, but it is not easy getting
the relevant executives to act and the general resolution system is
unseasonably busy just now with more widely-vexing matters like overall
project leadership and what can honestly be put in the next release.

Hope that explains,
--
MJR/slef