cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Q

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Andres Guadamuz <a.guadamuz AT ed.ac.uk>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Q
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:31:58 +0100

That is an interesting question. From the little I have read about DADVSI, the new French copyright legislation, it seems like a legislative solution can be found by requiring interoperability. Article 331-5 of the new law states that "TPMs must not result in the prevention of the effective application of interoperability.."

TPM makers are now under the obligation to disclose information to allow interoperability between devices, and there is going to be a new body that will be in charge of enforcing interoperability. While the legislation has been heavily criticised, I think that the French got this bit right!

Andres

drew Roberts wrote:
Greg,

I haven't dug into this carefully, but from browsing on the subject and going from memory, that 3 day limit is only for files that get on the player by the wifi method. If you put them on the player some other way, that automatic 3 day limit does not apply.

Now, this will all shake out after people figure out exactly how the whole shebang works, but we should at least see that it is possible to make these sort of nasty players even if zune is not one at this time.

So the question becomes, do we want to surrender our content to the big players making these players or those forcong the inclusion of such "features" or do we want some protection from such tactics for our works?

Personally I think I want some protections. Now, I am open to hearing how the protections I want will cause me more harm than good, but I think I would like them.