cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] License , copyright issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Rafa Jiménez" <ibnhafsun AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] License , copyright issues
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 14:37:02 +0200

We are in India, a printing press intend to re-print old paintings of
master painters like Raja Ravivarma(Indian), Michelangelo, Davinci,
Carvaggio, Paul Rubens etc. to name some.
Each country has it´s own copyright laws. I have found a reference on
the net about published pictures in India, 60 years, but you must see
your copyright laws.

For transnational copyrights law see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Trans-national_copyright_law
and be sure that the countries involved has signed the Berne
Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.

We get small pictures from publications and from Net; re-paint them by
expert artists, scan and print to be distributed through Art shops.
Initially we sell in India alone, but if demand may sell through Net/ebay.

You have two copyrights: the original author´s copyright (let´s say
Michelangelo´s rights if aplicable) and the photograph´s copyright
(the photographer´s copyright).