cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] License , copyright issues

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sunny Alanoly <signergyprints AT yahoo.co.in>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] License , copyright issues
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:08:12 +0100 (BST)

Sir,
We are in India, a printing press intend to re-print old paintings of
master painters like Raja Ravivarma(Indian), Michelangelo, Davinci,
Carvaggio, Paul Rubens etc. to name some.

We get small pictures from publications and from Net; re-paint them by
expert artists, scan and print to be distributed through Art shops.
Initially we sell in India alone, but if demand may sell through Net/ebay.

1. Is any copyright existing to the above artists, most of them died
more than 200 years ?
2. If yes, what has to be done to reprint them lawful ways ?
3. I noticed many studios offering high resolution digitized file
     copies of such paintings at a high price on Net. If copyright is
existing, how they offer them to sell ?
4. Is a list available anywhere to find a list of a copyrighted as well
as non-copyrighted Artists ?
5.Also I found a list of patent-free public domain, where it is said
no patents & copyrights are existing on Paul Rubens works. Can I
re-print Rubens work ?
Your advice is valuable.
Kindly reply to email: signergyprints AT yahoo.co.in

Thanks for the time !
Thomas