cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Zune Breaks CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Zune Breaks CC
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:48:51 -0400

On Friday 15 September 2006 09:23 pm, Terry Hancock wrote:
> drew Roberts wrote:
> > On Friday 15 September 2006 03:02 pm, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> > > The Zune is therefore a law-breaking engine that disregards the
> > > rights and the business models of artists and that ignores the
> > > licenses on copyrighted works in order to make money for Microsoft
> > > at the expense of the musicians whose work they are stealing.
> >
> > I have no great love of Microsoft, but I don't like this stealing
> > language when those on the other side of things use it for their
> > benefit. If it is anything, it is a copyright violation in either
> > instance. Nothing is being stolen from anyone.
>
> On the contrary, if the definitional aspect of "stealing" is
> the "unlawful deprivation of property"

Hey Terry, well, see, there you go. We are talking about copyrights and not
property. That being the case, there can be no deprivation of property at
all, lawful of unlawful.

> (rather than the unlawful
> provision of it), then DRM systems are quite capable of facillitating
> "stealing", since their primary function is to deprive the user
> access to works, even when they may be otherwise legally entitled
> to them -- rendering the deprivation unlawful -- ergo "stealing".

If it is my work in question, someone may be violating my copyrights, but no
one has "stolen" my copyrights. To do that, they would have to somehow come
to have those copyrights and I to no longer to have them. You know, make up a
fake transfer of copyright and forge my signature to it or something like
that.

I don't like the term piracy either btw. (Well, when applied to copyright
violations. Teach, Morgan, Kidd, Bonney and the rest, now they were pirates.

> ;-)
>
> > That said, what is this viral approach to DRM?
>
> I don't know either, but it's a nasty combination of concepts.
>
> Cheers,
> Terry

(da idea man)
http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145