cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Zune Breaks CC

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Zune Breaks CC
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:23:58 -0500

drew Roberts wrote:
On Friday 15 September 2006 03:02 pm, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> The Zune is therefore a law-breaking engine that disregards the
> rights and the business models of artists and that ignores the
> licenses on copyrighted works in order to make money for Microsoft
> at the expense of the musicians whose work they are stealing.

I have no great love of Microsoft, but I don't like this stealing
language when those on the other side of things use it for their
benefit. If it is anything, it is a copyright violation in either
instance. Nothing is being stolen from anyone.

On the contrary, if the definitional aspect of "stealing" is
the "unlawful deprivation of property" (rather than the unlawful
provision of it), then DRM systems are quite capable of facillitating
"stealing", since their primary function is to deprive the user
access to works, even when they may be otherwise legally entitled
to them -- rendering the deprivation unlawful -- ergo "stealing".

;-)

That said, what is this viral approach to DRM?

I don't know either, but it's a nasty combination of concepts.

Cheers,
Terry