cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY 2.0 photo usage inside a screensaver

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <teloscorbin AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-BY 2.0 photo usage inside a screensaver
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:20:11 -0400

On 8/15/06, Melissa Cotano <melcotano AT yahoo.com> wrote:
I am creating a commercial screensaver that will be distributed as a trial
download that expires after 30 days.

I would like to include in this screensaver some CC-BY 2.0 images I found on
Flickr, but before doing so I would like to know:

1) whether the CC-BY 2.0 license allows such usage (i.e. inclusion of CC-BY
2.0 works inside a binary application expiring after a given time frame)

CC-BY is almost like a Public Domain license,
so you could take the work private, as long as you
honor the attribution requirement.

I haven't had my coffee this morning yet, though,
so I could be talking in my sleep there.

2) if there are any caveats I should be aware of

The copyright notices, name of author, title of work, and URL of the work
are all possible attribution requirements. If they are provided, make sure
you somehow attribute them in your program.

If you embed them in the image itself, that would probably be clear
that the information applies to the image, not your whole program.

I am not a lawyer.
This is not legal advice.
I prefer Sneetches with no stars on thars.

Greg
Wikipedia and the Great Sneetches War
http://www.somerightsreserved.org