cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Licensing my Album/Mixtape under a CC License (with conditions)

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Jeremiah Sinkie" <jeremiah AT mit.midco.net>
  • To: <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Licensing my Album/Mixtape under a CC License (with conditions)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 20:47:42 -0500

Hey, I'm not sure where else to send this, so if this isn't the right place, please just point me in the right direction.
I’m currently in the process of making a Mixtape/Album that I want to release under a CC License (probably the BY-NC License), but I want to make it a condition that they have to actually purchase the CD itself, and cannot download it for free, or post the original versions up for download, CC License or not.
But I do want to make it that once they’ve purchased the CD, they have permission to Mix/Remix/Cut-Up/Sample/Mash-Up the tracks, and then they can release those “creatively transformed” versions of the tracks up for download under that BY-NC License.
How would be the best way for me to do this?

I thought about just releasing the CD as a normal CD (like you’d buy at Tower or Wal-Mart) and then putting in the item description and inside the CD booklet that they could do that, but I didn’t know if that would be the best way to do it or not.

I want it to be a condition that the CD is actually purchased, so as to pay for the making of the CD, paying for the use of some samples, etc.

I’d really appreciate any help and imput on this.

Thanks.
Best Regards,
— Jay