cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Sunset Licenses as a Module

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Sunset Licenses as a Module
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 01:53:52 +0000

I realize we've beaten this horse pretty badly, but ...

The argument was made that "fence-hangers" currently using
CC-By-NC-SA would not use a sunset option. However, while
looking for another post, I found this counter-example.

Subject was: [cc-licenses] Licensing option to free up content over time possible?

Seems like he's asking for exactly what I suggested, and he is
currently using NC:

"Mario Behling" <mb AT mariobehling.de> wrote:
I am new to the list and I am not sure, if this is the right place
for this post.

I am a photographer and journalist and I was wondering if there is
already a solution to the following problem.

When I publish content, I normally choose a license, that does not
include commercial usage. If a commercial enterprise wants to use my
work, they could pay for it. That is the idea. However, I would not
mind if a commercial enterprise uses my work, let's say, after five
years after the initial publishing date. This could increase interest
in my work and publicity.

Ok, I could just change licenses myself, but it would be nice to be
able to choose a licensing option, that frees up restrictions
(automatically and gradually) after some time.

Of course I am not a lawyer. So I am not sure, if this would be
possible. But, as far as I could see, this would also solve some
problems concerning licence incompatibilities: If many people would
choose such an option, it would automatically enhance the
compatibility of free content over time.

I just thought that was interesting. I realize that one example
doesn't necessarily make a class of useful size, but it does
prove the principle: there is at least one potential user of
such a module.

I have already got in mind a non-CC based solution (considering
our earlier discussion), but I still think it would be more
successful as a CC module.

Cheers,
Terry