cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Problem with Share-Alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Problem with Share-Alike
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 21:51:47 +0000

Ben McLean wrote:
What if I, the creator of a work, want one particular liscense for
myself but want to allow people who modify my work to be able to
release their modifications ONLY under

1) As the copyright owner, you are not bound by any public license
you grant.

2) You may license under as many different licenses as you like --
the user can use/redistribute under whatever terms they took when
they received the work (as a practical matter, this means they can
choose which license they like).

If I understand you correctly, though, you are wanting to make your
unmodified software usable commercially, but allow non-commercial
tinkering.

That would be the effect of a CC-By-ND + CC-By-NC-SA dual license
(non-derived works can be used for anything, derived ones only
non-commercially).

Mike is right though, that I would counsel you to consider CC-By-SA,
as it is very likely to achieve the same effects in practice, and will
be more free for the end-user. Of course, you'll know best what you
want.

Cheers,
Terry