cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Problem with Share-Alike

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Ben McLean" <mclean.ben AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Problem with Share-Alike
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 14:49:35 -0500

What if I, the creator of a work, want one particular liscense for
myself but want to allow people who modify my work to be able to
release their modifications ONLY under a specific liscense that is
different from mine THAT I SPECIFY or under EITHER the same as mine
BUT NOT a particular liscense? The Share-Alike option seems too
simplistic to handle these kinds of situations.

As an example of this, suppose that I DON'T want my original work to
have the Non-Commercial condition, but I want to only allow derivative
works that DO have the Non-Commercial condition. Wouldn't copyright
law allow for such a liscense?