cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Use Value vs Sale Value of Creative Works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: cc-community AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Use Value vs Sale Value of Creative Works
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:30:05 +0000

[Taking note of the moderator action on "Intellectual Highway Department" and
the subject of this, I suggest we continue this thread on the community list]

drew Roberts wrote:
I have been kicking a thought around in my head for the last week or
so that bubbled up as a result of these current discussions on Free
Art business models etc that we have been having.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/magic-cauldron/ar01s03.html

Well, "The Magic Cauldron" was a formative influence on my ideas
about this whole subject matter. My main interest was applying the
same concepts to hardware design. It mingles very nicely with a
space technology concept called "In Situ Resource Utilization" (ISRU)
(a fancy NASA-style acronym for 'living off the land'). The problem is
that ISRU breaks present-day central-manufacturing practice, and
hence a new model is necessary. There are a couple of choices, but
free-design communities are a pretty good start. I've been writing
a magazine series about this for a few months now (I'm currently
working on the 7th and final article in the series). Here's the 1st:

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/free_matter_economy

is to another of ESR's writings and discusses some issues relating to
the use value versus the sale value of software.

Perhaps there are some useful ideas in there for those of us
interested in funding the production of Free Works other than
software.

Which people, groups, companies, industries use the sorts of works we
are interested in funding as tools rather than as goods for sale?

That is definitely the right question.

So far, we've identified "content providers":

Live shows (performances or clubs, galleries, etc).

Download services with indexed data (note that the related
discussion on AI-based song spiders is a threat to this -- compare
Yahoo vs. Google).

Cheers,
Terry