cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Can a by-NC-sa use material from a by-sa? Seems no

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Can a by-NC-sa use material from a by-sa? Seems no
  • Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 09:25:07 +0100

Quoting robinp AT xtra.co.nz:

Thank you, Mia. Spot-on. Clearly by-sa is one of the five licenses that is incompatible with all others.

BY is compatible with BY-SA. That is, you can incorporate BY content in an SA
work.

[I have an irrational fear that "compatibility" will become such a shibboleth
that any "incompatible" license will have to be made "compatible" for the good
of "compatibility".]

But I wonder why material available for commercial use should not be copied to a place where it isn't.

Because it breaks the deal. Like putting it (or NC-SA work) under an ND license.
As Terry says, it violates the sharealike and is more restrictive.

- Rob.