cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] ShareAlike and version compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] ShareAlike and version compatibility
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 12:25:53 -0400

On Thu, 2006-13-04 at 15:46 +0000, Terry Hancock wrote:
So the problem is that the CC-By-SA-1.0 does not have the
license upgrade clause?
Actually, I don't think it's possible to upgrade a work from any of the licenses, version 1.0, 2.0, or 2.5, unless you a) get the licensor's permission or b) make a derivative work.
Sounds like you'll need to either scrub the 1.0 content out
of the wiki or get original sources to upgrade the license.
Yeah, or just stay at 1.0 until there's a compelling reason to upgrade. There are a lot of wikis that have done so.
Alternatively, you could use a blanket license statement for
the site which says that content is under the By-SA 2.5 "unless
otherwise noted", and then put "By-SA 1.0" notices on the
affected pages.
I think our vague plan is to a) upgrade any contributions by anonymous contributors automatically; b) get permission from as many identified contributors as possible, and c) isolate or delete stuff we can't upgrade. I think it'd be actually possible to "skip over" contributions by people who won't upgrade or whom we can't contact.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou <evan AT prodromou.name>