cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] ShareAlike and version compatibility

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] ShareAlike and version compatibility
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 06:53:43 -0400

On Thursday 13 April 2006 06:29 am, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> Quoting drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>:
> > On Thursday 13 April 2006 03:29 am, Karl Ebener wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i fully support this interpretation. In the preambular, it says:
> >> THE WORK (AS DEFINED BELOW) IS PROVIDED UNDER THE TERMS OF THIS CREATIVE
> >> COMMONS PUBLIC LICENSE ("CCPL" OR "LICENSE").
> >>
> >> This means, that there is a contract being conducted.
> >
> > Are you speaking for Creative Commons here? If not, could a CC rep
> > please give
> > CC's take on this? I know that the GPL people do not believe that the GPL
> > is a contract, but merely a license.icenses
>
> Please bear in mind that even if a CC license is considered a contract in
> Germany (I don't know whether it would be or not) European and American
> law may
> differ on this point.

I do understand that another country might think that way, however, I do
sometimes wonder how they arrive at a contract being in place without a
meeting of the minds and without consideration.

Along these lines, is there some obligation on the part of people using CC
licenses to understand the legal implications of the licenses in every
jurisdiction? If so, that might cut down on the use of CC licenses severely.

> (IANAL, IANCC).

(NAI, NAI) (NAI = neither am I) ~;-)

> - Rob.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/187924