cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License: Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "DeepNet" <dan AT deepnettech.com>
  • To: "Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen AT iki.fi>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License: Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:32:10 -0500

Thank you for the information Henri and Rob.. exactly what I needed
to know.

So one more question now that I know I have to add an addendum:

- I notice that direct inclusion of the content of the 2.5 Attribution CC
license
is discouraged. All the insertion instructions provide 'linkage' text, rather
than direct content. This is different from GNU, which includes encourages
the inclusion of the actual license text and dissemination.

- The CC license itself is under CC Attribution license 2.5, I see.
So, if I want to include it's content directly, I thus can do so, correct
(as long as I maintain it's copyright/ownership info)?

- And, if I do include the license content directly, I can also modify it
since the 2.5 Attribution license allows this? I know the alternative
is to have two licenses... the original 2.5 CC, and an addendum, but
I don't like that and it's messy.

I'm no lawyer, but not including the actual license with the work seems a
mistake
to me. What if the link to the license changes, or is not working? This seems
a weak point in the CC license.

Also, Evan has pointed out that the 1.0 Share-Alike CC license clearly HAD
such a clause in it regarding warrant from licensee to licensor.
Now, I don't want to use it exactly, as I prefer the attribution-only
aspects of the 2.5 CC license (I don't want the share-alike responsiblite of
the 1.0
license, yet the attribution aspects in 1.0 are not clear, and I'm happy to
abide by them).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan Pronovost