cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License: Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen AT iki.fi>
  • To: DeepNet <dan AT deepnettech.com>, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] newbie question on Creative Common License: Licensor Warranty of Rights Ownership?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:10:47 +0200

On Mar 24, 2006, at 07:50, DeepNet wrote:

- I want to protect myself from people submitting works
that they DO NOT have copyright ons (i.e. they submit
someone elses work, and accept the CC license anyway).

Then you should have an additional agreement with contributors.

- In effect, I would like the license to say something like,
"Licensor warrants, to the best of their ability, that they
own the copyright to the Work, or otherise have rights to
the Work to allow this license to be valid"...

This was in the 1.0 series and was removed. Putting it in the license is a bad idea, because you would yourself end up granting a warranty without consideration to random third parties.

- I've read the CC license generated above, and I don't
see anywhere where the Licensor gaurantees this kind
of thing to the Licensee?

By design.

Can/Should I add a second agreement they
must also accept that simple states this as an extra thing?

Yes, you should do this separately.

As usual: IANAL, TINLA.

--
Henri Sivonen