cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] [Cc-icommons] Wording issue about Commons Deed

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: cc-icommons AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] [Cc-icommons] Wording issue about Commons Deed
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:00:38 -0800

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 03:34 +0800, Jedi wrote:
> In case any additional specification make this "contract" valid and
> won't violate CC licenses, one can makeup any CC license by using CC:by
> license with lots of annotation.

I don't know if this is relevant to your concerns, but since licensors
can specify attribution, we're planning on standardizing how attribution
can be specified in metadata so that eventually a reuse tool could
automate correct attribution.

> Says, there is an author Ali and his work "Artoo." Ali wanna release
> "Artoo" under CC:by-nd-nc license. But Ali want to enhance Artoo's
> PageRank in Google search engine as well as let more users see Artoo in
> their search result. So Ali doesn't use Metadata of CC:by-nd-nc
> directly; oppositely, he use Metadata of CC:by with lots of annotation
> to makeup a equivalent contract to CC:by-nd-nc license.
>
> Now, according to the "contract," what users can and can't do while
> using Artoo is just like using other works which were licensed under
> CC:by-nd-nc license. But when people search "artoo" from any
> CC-supported search engine, even with "find me works I can use even for
> commercial purposes" and "find me works I can modify, adapt, or build
> upon" options, they will always get Ali's Artoo in their result.

You're saying that Ali could build NC and ND prohibitions into his
specification of required attribution? How?

> Yes, it's all about SEO (Search Engine Optimize). And because of this
> phantom menace, I believe that this already violate the spirit of CC. So
> that, if possible, we'd better do something now to prevent future
> trouble.

I agree that SEO is a menace but am not sure it is any greater menace
for CC search than it is for regular web search. In either case users
get useless results to the extent search engines get fooled. It is a
game of one-upmanship. If you have ideas concerning how CC could help
the search engines...

--
Mike Linksvayer
http://creativecommons.org/about/people#21