cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Question about the CC Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Terry Hancock <hancock AT anansispaceworks.com>
  • To: mfarley AT sac-yolomvcd.com, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Question about the CC Licenses
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:14:49 -0600

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006 14:07:39 -0800
"Matt Farley" <mfarley AT sac-yolomvcd.com> wrote:
> How are we supposed to credit the author when we're
> embedding/editing part of the image to fit in a website
> template or other document? I mean if I want use your
> photos as a backdrop for a sleek web interface -- it's not
> very user-friendly to slap "THE PHOTO IN THE BACKGROUND
> HERE -> WAS MADE BY BIGBOB22"
>
> Further -- I didn't see any credit given to any
> photographers in the aforementioned sites?

I think something is missing somewhere. I've noticed this
problem on Wikipedia -- after the Gnu FDL, the "By-SA" and
"By" licenses are the most popular for photos in Wikimedia
Commons -- but an awful lot of them don't seem to include an
attribution notice. I think attribution is great, but it's
hard to do if the author doesn't tell you who they are!

Cheers,
Terry