cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Question about the CC Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Adam Fields <cc-licenses345982 AT aquick.org>
  • To: mfarley AT sac-yolomvcd.com, Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Question about the CC Licenses
  • Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 20:05:39 -0500

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 02:07:39PM -0800, Matt Farley wrote:
> I have a question about the photos in the /creativecommons/ section. I've
> seen a few places that stated their photos came from the CCL section on
> Flickr -- I hadn't heard of this and excitedly checked it out -- as I'm
> always looking for good photos to use in web design.
>
> >From what I could gather from reading about the licenses at
> >www.flickr.com/creativecommons/, all photos on there are released with a
> >(BY / Attribution) clause -- which states that you can use the photo, if
> >you give the author credit.

Um, no. Each picture has its own license, chosen by the
photographer. Some of them are BY, but many are not.

> How are we supposed to credit the author when we're embedding/editing part
> of the image to fit in a website template or other document? I mean if I
> want use your photos as a backdrop for a sleek web interface -- it's not
> very user-friendly to slap "THE PHOTO IN THE BACKGROUND HERE -> WAS MADE BY
> BIGBOB22"

I believe credit in the comments of the page, or wherever the
copyright for the page is are both acceptable for this.

But that my non-lawyer belief.

> Further -- I didn't see any credit given to any photographers in the
> aforementioned sites?
>
> Am I missing something?

Setting aside the special deal that flickr has (which is in its terms
of service), sure there's credit - there's a username under each
photo. Or were you talking about something else?

--
- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience