cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Adam Fields <cc-licenses345982 AT aquick.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Alex Bosworth: "Creative Commons Is Broken"
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 12:15:13 -0500

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:13:04AM -0800, Stephanie Rieger wrote:
> 1. Education - How do you use these licenses correctly? What do they really
> mean (especially the 'non-commercial' variant--and I know they are working
> on this) What types of works should be licensed CC and why (This will sound
> very restrictive to some but I think we need to address this. OurMedia.org
> (for example) is full of millions of works, only a fraction of which are
> actually useful to anyone or reusable in any way.)

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by this? I've been working
with Ourmedia in a technical capacity (largely keeping the site from
crashing under the load), and this is a major concern for
them. Details would help.

> 2. Simplification - This may be a pipe dream but the licenses are really too
> complex to use and need to be simplified so they can be used more easily in
> alternate publishing mediums and by novice users. We've made choosing,
> tagging and discovering CC-licensed works dead easy (maybe a bit too easy),
> now lets focus on reuse!

It's important to note that without the former, the latter is really
useless. Rather than decrying CC as a broken venture, as Mr. Bosworth
does, I would look at it as a stepping stone.

So - there's a real question in there.

As a consumer/remixer/user - what do you want? What rights should be
clearly delineated that aren't currently being so?

--
- Adam

** Expert Technical Project and Business Management
**** System Performance Analysis and Architecture
****** [ http://www.adamfields.com ]

[ http://www.aquick.org/blog ] ............ Blog
[ http://www.adamfields.com/resume.html ].. Experience