cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] cc-licenses Digest, Vol 36, Issue 5

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] cc-licenses Digest, Vol 36, Issue 5
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:20:43 -0500 (EST)

>> Quoting Adam Fields <cc-licenses345982 AT aquick.org>:
>> > Is this contrary to the spirit of creative commons?

No, that is exactly what Creative Commons set out to enable.

>>quoting drew:
> I think that the problem may arise from the name itself.
> "Creative Commons" ... They do not in fact have
> "a common pool to draw on" in creating new works in
> keeping with their ideals.

I was never thrilled over the name "Creative Commons"
because not all CC licenses have anything to do with
what we think of as a commons: a shared pasture or
any sort of Public Domain.

I would have rather seen them use a name such as
"Creative Copyright" or "Some Rights Reserved" or
something that didn't invoke the image of a shared
public domain work. But a name is a minor quibble.
I still support the idea behind CC. And at least
some of their licenses do in fact support a commons,
it's just left to the people to decide whether they'll
use them.