cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] cc-licenses Digest, Vol 36, Issue 5

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] cc-licenses Digest, Vol 36, Issue 5
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:34:57 -0500

On Monday 06 March 2006 04:42 am, rob AT robmyers.org wrote:
> (I am not Creative Commons.)
>
> Quoting Adam Fields <cc-licenses345982 AT aquick.org>:
> > Is this contrary to the spirit of creative commons?
>
> CC are helping you to manage your rights and to allow people more use of
> your work than they would have under baseline copyright law. So I'd say it
> is not contrary at all.

On this basis no.

> It is contrary to various not-yet-complete ideas about "Free Culture" that
> people have, but that is another matter.

I think that the problem may arise from the name itself. "Creative Commons"
singular, or at least perceived as singular by many. Any yet, people who
favour certain licences to the exclusion of others may have very little in
common and very little to share with each other. They do not in fact have "a
common pool to draw on" in creating new works in keeping with their ideals.

Of course, I may be missing the mark completely with this thought.

> - Rob.

http://www.ourmedia.org/node/145261
Record a song and you might win $1,000.00
http://www.ourmedia.org/user/17145