cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] famous quotations

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] famous quotations
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 17:06:03 +0000

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

On 19 Feb 2006, at 14:08, QuotationsBook.com wrote:

I maintain www.quotationsbook.com, a website of famous quotations. The quotations can be reused under the "fair-use" provision of international copyright law.

Sadly, we don't get the same Fair Use provisions in every country. Many Commonwealth countries only have the much more limiting Fair Dealing system. And I think there was some controversy over the scope of Fair Use in Japanese law on Wikipedia.

However, which Creative Commons license does this map to?

All the CC licenses respect Fair Use, but there isn't a CC-Fair-Use license. I do think a "Fair Use Respected" tag would be a very useful thing for CC to provide, but this would only really be something the original rightsholder could apply.

Can anyone advise about licensing famous quotations (clearly I didn't write them myself!). The goal is to allow Yahoo!, Google and importantly visitors, to identify my quotations as usable in a specific setting, clearing up my currently non-existent legal framework.

Wikiquote probably faced similar issues:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Wikiquote:Copyrights

- Rob.