cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] human rights license

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] human rights license
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:25:49 -0500 (EST)

There were some attempts to to this with some of the early
open source licenses back in the day before GNU became the
defacto license. The problem becomes one of license incompatibility
as this is yet another license fork, making it incompatible
with any other license.

One of the things about copyleft is that it requires that
the person modifying the code and distributing it license
the new version under exactly the same license as the original
one. This means that a GNU-GPL license that prohibits
"unethical use" will be forever incompatible with a
GNU-GPL license that allows it, therefore the works under
those two licenses will never be able to mix. ever.

One of the things that copyleft and gift-economy licenses
have going for them is patience, free software wins in the
long run. The thing is that the "long run" means that what
was once considered unethical, may be considered normal a
decade later. Prior licenses attempted to specifically
exclude certain nations from using their work, but leaders
change, and then you're stuck with a work that can never
be used by that nation. They also attempted to restrict
use of the work to exclude certain areas of technology,
such as nuclear power. But what was considered dangerous
or unethical today may be considered life-saving a decade
from now.

This attempt to use a license to restrict a piece of software
from being used by certain persons or groups or certain
fields of endeavor that license incompatibility became a
serious issue. The open source definition decided that the
best answer for the gift economy, for the work itself, was
to put an end to such license restrictions.

http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

If there is a nation that you believe is immoral or a
field of endeavor that you believe is immoral, there are
much more direct and effective ways to try and address
those issues than to saddle a community project with
what would effectively be a permanent restriction that
would forever be incompatible with any other variation
of license.