cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Sharealike license element change and by-nc-sa

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Sharealike license element change and by-nc-sa
  • Date: 19 Nov 2005 06:29:56 +0900

Hi. (Be reminded that I'm not a lawyer).

My take on this issue is that if the original work is released under
CC-SA-NC or CC-BY-SA-NC then the derivative work should not be
released under GFDL. GFDL explicitly states that the licensed work
can be commercially exploited. Many Wikipedians indeed try to
protect this freedom.

So when the author or licensor choses "NC" element, that signals that
he does not want its derivative to be released under GFDL. That would
be my take.

If, on the other hand, there are many many authors/licensors who want
their original work to stay NC-SA and derivative work to be more free
as to be commerically exploited, then introducing the "portable to GFDL"
changes for NC-SA is desirable. My guess is that such demand is quite
limited.

Regards,

Tomos