cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:59:22 +0000

j lipszyc wrote:
What is that issue? If this is fundamental those licenses will be never compatible. Am i missing something?

I don't understand the GFDL, so I want to be careful not to say something that's wrong. But based on these pages:

http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nerode/neroden/fdl.html

It looks like:
* The GFDL allows "invariant" sections. That's like having a work where some bits are "non-derivs" and the rest is "sharealike".
* The GFDL prohobits "technical measures" that inhibit sharing. Debian sees this as too broad.
* The GFDL says you must include a "machine readable transparent copy" of the work. So, I can't just give you a paper print-out (not machine readale) or a PDF or PNG (not transparent - can't edit).

HHmm... it looks like making BY-SA and GFDL compatible is not as easy as I thought. Thank you for bringing this up! Thank you for getting me to dig deeper into this.

We can still try to make these compatible, but it may be harder. For example, we might say "you can make this work GFDL, but you can't use any invariant sections". Just an idea.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
/\/`) http://oooauthors.org