cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: j lipszyc <jl AT creativecommons.pl>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Discussion Draft - Proposed License Amendment to Avoid Content Ghettos in the Commons
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 02:40:27 +0100

Mia Garlick wrote:

Thus, for example, Wikipedia is licensed under the Free Software Foundation’s GFDL. That license essentially enables the same freedoms as the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license; but you can’t take content from Wikipedia and mix it with BY-SA photos from Flickr

Mia, you made my day. Thank you for officially taking this problem to
public light and willing to offer a solution. That was a major roadblock
for our movement, and now i can see it vanishing. Yuuuppppiiiieeee!

To solve that problem, and to begin this discussion of license interoperability, Creative Commons seeks comment on the attached proposed amendments to Creative Commons licenses that contain a ShareAlike license element. These amendments would enable dual licensing of derivatives.

Proposed amendments seem to not allow dual-licensing, but rather allow
"relicensing" (i made up this word on spot, does it exist?) work to
GFDL. Once such a relicensing is done there is no way back, you cannot
relicense it into BY-SA. Right?

If i'm right - well, it's not bad. This is in fact pulling BY-SA license
from the market and using "industry standard" GFDL. This will make a lot
of people happy, removing major barrier beetween two incompatible
license worlds.

If you ask me what is long-term solution, i would say that there are
only two working solution. First is to make BY-SA fully GFDL compatible
(and listed as such on FSF site). The second is to scrap it and use GFDL
instead (and i think this needs serious consideration).

The more i like overall direction of this project, the more problems i
see. I understand, that CC BY-SA is GFDL incompatible because it adds some restrictions. Are you aware of detailing lists of incompatibilities? Googling gave me no answers, but maybe i used wrong keywords.

If those differences are significant we may run into serious problem - by allowing relicensing work to GFDL we simply remove some restrictions. It's not bad, but some people rather seriously think that restrictions are "authors rights". I do not agree with such point of view, but if we promise something in common deeds we cannot than say "you know, its just common deeds, you really should read fine print, its written there that we can change the rules anytime".

Fine print says "a later version of this License with the same License Elements as this License". There was no option to remove this parameter. Note, that removing this was possible in GPL ("or [at your option] any later version"), and as you know Linus Torvalds removed it from Linux kernel license, so kernel will never be licensed under GPL 3.

If this is not a cosmetical change we need is a serious public discussion on matter (and by "public" i understand not posting this on closed email list, or even more open cc-community, but setting up open wiki and linking it on Slashdot). We have to make people using our licenses aware of problem, our proposed solutions, and ensure transparent process of taking decision. Otherwise we will loose peoples trust.

However i think this is worth all the effort. Whatever outcome will be - compatibility is simply a must. The question is just "how we are going to do it".

PLease note, that Mia posted this email to several different emailing lists, including _all_ iCommons. We have to decide where this talk will be continued, because starting several threads on different lists will make following it a real pain.

greetings
Jaroslaw Lipszyc