cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] CC-Wiki license?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: rob AT robmyers.org
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] CC-Wiki license?
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:17:03 +0100

Quoting Daniel Carrera <daniel.carrera AT zmsl.com>:

Bjorn Wijers wrote:
As far as I know this has become the 2.5 version of the licenses.

That seems to be the case.

There
is now the possibility to add a third party as the licensor? So you can
for instance use the name of the place where your wiki resides..

How, does this mean that this third party owns the copyright or does it
just mean that the third party gets the credit?

Just the attribution.

I'm not sure how well this will work in strong moral-rights jurisdictions.

This is relevant because if the third party gets the copyright, they can
also choose to re-license under different terms later on. From what I
readon the license, this isn't the case at all, and it just says that
for attribution you can just name this third party (e.g. the wiki).

Copyright assignment is a separate issue. For a free-and-easy wiki it would
create a high barrier to entry. But it would make sense for some kinds of
projects and I think more people should look at GNU's example.

- Rob.