cc-licenses - [cc-licenses] Choosing a license for a film

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Kerim Friedman <oxusnet AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-licenses] Choosing a license for a film
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 19:17:22 -0400

Hello,we are working on a documentary film (information can be found
at http://hoochandhamlet.com) and we wish to release our work with as
open a license as possible, while still making money off of our work.
(Not to make a profit, but to recoup our costs and raise money for the
next project.) I've seen other films have embraced Creative Commons
(such as Robert Greenwald http://www.walmartmovie.com), but we are a
little concerned, and I was hoping that members of this list could
answer some of our questions.

I think, at the heart of our concerns, is the question of what
qulifies as "commercial" use? This is important because we wish to
sell our film to educational institutions, especially universities,
whom have been our biggest market in the past. We are worried that by
releasing the film as CC, we will be forfiting our right to demand
that educational institutions pay for the film as opposed to simply
downloading it from the internet. At the same time, we want to enable
individuals to watch the film over the internet for free if they like.
(I'm planning on using Broadcast Machine to make a bittorent
available.)

Is there a license that fits our needs?

Thank you for your help!

Kerim Friedman & Shashwati Talukdar

  • [cc-licenses] Choosing a license for a film, Kerim Friedman, 09/30/2005