cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] question regardiing attribution & licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] question regardiing attribution & licenses
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:05:08 -0400 (EDT)

> On Wed, 2005-17-08 at 09:42 -0400, Greg London wrote:
>
>> Also, because licenses specify what a user MUST do and because all other
>> rights are released,
>
> That's absolutely positively not the case, Greg.
> Section 3 of the licenses lists what rights are
> granted to the licensee, and section 4 of
> the licenses lists restrictions on those grants.

Yes, I know that there are grants and restrictions,
but this was all written within the context of
the piece before that said:

:: Think of the CC licenses as listing what other
:: users MUST do, and anything that is NOT listed
:: is allowed. i.e. cc-Attribution-NonCommercial means
:: that other people MUST attribute and MUST use it for
:: noncommercial uses only. Any other right granted
:: under copyright is released by the author and
:: can be used by anyone else.

The question was whether CC-BY-NC allowed derivative
works or whether a downstream author would need
a CC-Sampling license. In that 50,000 foot context,
I think the above is an appropriate explanation
of the licenses.

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/