cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] question regardiing attribution & licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Baryonic Being <feedback AT corfizz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] question regardiing attribution & licenses
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:37:56 +0100

Hello,
I'm not Creative Commons, nor affiliated with them; I'm also not a lawyer, but I do have my own understanding of these licenses. I also know Creative Commons said they would be revamping their FAQ, so hopefully they'll pick up on your confusion.

As far as I understand it, the non-sampling licenses *do* allow sampling - i.e. you can take just a piece of the work and, so long as you continue to abide by the license terms, you can use it. This is for all non-sampling licenses *except* those with the no-derivatives clause. I believe cropping an image, for example, counts as a transformation, and would probably therefore constitute a derivative. And obviously, sampling an image with the noncommercial license is only allowed for noncommercial purposes.

As for your second point, I would assume that you can reconstitute the attribution notice in that hypothetical example.

I think you'd only have difficulty with the no-derivatives licenses, which are a bit awkward. If an attribution-no-derivatives image had an attribution notice on the actual image, then, strictly speaking, you would not be allowed to transpose that same notice on top of a cropped portion of the image, because that would constitute a derivative. In practice, nobody could really care, but you wouldn't want to risk it. I would just provide an attribution notice in the same place that I would put any other similar copyright notice. For example, if it's in a magazine, it usually goes in a small-print caption up one side of the image, or in a long acknowledgments list at the front.

I hope that helps, but as I say, I can't speak for CC, or for the Law.