cc-licenses - Re: [cc-licenses] Dual CC Licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "M Featherston" <opensourcepro AT gmail.com>, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [cc-licenses] Dual CC Licenses
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:16:48 -0400 (EDT)

> Possibly a stupid question, but I need to know how common it is for
> content to be licensed under 2 Creative Commons Licenses.

"common"ness is difficult to measure empirically since there
is no easy way to count all the works that have been created,
and then tabulate how many are All Rights Reserved, how many
are GNU-FDL, and how many are Creative Commons.

CC did put out a pie chart that listed how many licenses were
applied for using their website generator. That would possibly
skew the results to new authors, since experienced folks would
probably just cut and paste their license text from one document
to another, rather than cutting and pasting it from CC's
license selector website.

My gut tells me that if you measure "common" by the number
of authors, then the most common CC license is CC-BY-NC

> Also, is it practical to use a GFDL and a CC license together?

GNU-FDL and CC-SA are not compatible with each other.
Offering a work under a dual license is one way to
get around this restriction. It can also make things
confusing, but that's a problem with the licenses
being incompatible and trying to work around it.

GNU-FDL has more restrictions than CC-SA, so that's why
they're incompatible. Dual licensing is one way around this.

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/