cc-licenses - Re: Inheritance in infinite iterations

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Inheritance in infinite iterations
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:47:36 -0400

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 06:41 -0400, drew Roberts wrote:

> Attribution probably not, but Attribution-ShareAlike does have similar
> issues
> for certain uses as I understand it. Of course, you may consider this a
> feature where some would consider it a bug.

Point taken. I think there's a qualitative difference.

With NonCommercial, there are a slew of _uses_ that you can put Works to
that you have to get separate permission for. As a practical matter,
large-scale reproduction and distribution on physical media are almost
impossible, as well as most kinds of public performance, public display,
or broadcast.

With ShareAlike, you just have to keep your derivative works copylefted.
It disallows you from setting monopolistic prices, but it doesn't put a
practical limit on what you can do with the work. As far as I know;
there's probably a good point to make here.

> Bam Sookie!

I like this.

~Evan

--