cc-licenses - Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: peter.brink AT brinkdata.se, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: Draft License 2.5 - Now open for discussion
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 13:58:38 -0400 (EDT)

> tisdag 31 maj 2005 16:36 skrev Greg London:
>>
>> Creative Commons made the huge mistake of rolling it into
>> be "on" by default for all licenses and making it impossible
>> as far as anyone has been able to demonstrate to turn it "off".
> [ snip ]
>>
>> My preference would be for option 1.
>> I think that if CC wants to focus on the
>> best long-term benefit for gift economy
>> projects, they would drop the attribution
>> requirement.
>
> Having attribution as a default requirement reminds people of an
> obligation they have under law.

"outside the US."

I believe US law only mentions attribution
specifically in regard to phonorecords etc.
Attribution doesn't have much going for it
as written in US law.

Option (1) above would mean that ShareAlike
would be handled similar to however attribution
is handled in GNU-GPL, which is to say attribution
would not be in either license, however that is
accomplished. Since it is possible with GNU-GPL,
it is possible with ShareAlike.

> If attribution would be removed from the license it
> would have no legal effect at all, you would still be required to provide
> attribution (see The Berne Convention, Article 6bis:
> http://www.wipo.int/treaties/en/ip/berne/trtdocs_wo001.html#P123_20726).

The treaty is not law. Each individual country implements
their national laws to comply with the treaty.

Greg

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP laws
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/