cc-licenses - Re: [RDD] Carts and Cuts

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: rivendell-dev AT nevrast.salemradiolabs.com
  • Cc: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [RDD] Carts and Cuts
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 08:54:49 -0400

Cross posting to CC list for input on appropriate attribution question below.

On Thursday 12 May 2005 11:26 pm, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:21:54PM -0400, drew Roberts wrote:
> [ me: ]
>
> > > As a radio *listener*, my reaction to that is that if you do it,
> > > exactly the people you want: continuous-listeners (P1's, in, I'm told,
> > > broadcast parlance) will be the first people to a) notice it and b) get
> > > sick of it.
> >
> > I know, and I don't like it too much. I am doing this as a learning
> > experience. I am hoping to play only CC BY-SA songs in the long run and I
> > need to figure some way to give attribution in a way that is appropriate
> > for the medium.
>
> Ok; that constitutes an acceptable excuse. :-)

Not a good one I know, but what can I do? ~;-)

> > I am doing this out of my own pocket and have no plans on
> > making money with it (if that comes, fine, but I don't really see it
> > happening.) and so I need unattended operation.
> >
> > So I have those two constraints:
> >
> > Must give attribution.
> > Must have unattended operation.
> >
> > If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, other than what I am
> > thinking, I am all ears. It is going to be tough enough finding a
> > selection of BY-SA music to play in the first place. We will see if I
> > can pull something off.
>
> Hmmm. What constitutes an acceptible attribution for the purposes of
> that license, for recorded music? Would an on-line playlist with the
> appropriate links serve?

Actually, now that you mention this, one idea would be to tie the now and
next
output in with a database and give the attribution as part of the now and
in stream would be nice, perhaps required.

That was xyz by abc.

Up next qvt by igd.

that sort of thing.

The trick is, you would not necessarily want to make such announcements every
time the song played. I even thought of contacting the musicians and letting
them record some of the intros and outros.

Another thought. I don't think I can recall attribution given to the
songwriters over the radio, just the musicians. That is, they seem to give
the (R) type attribution and not the (C) type, but even that is not accurate.
They give attribution to the singer/musician/band and not even to the people
holding the (R) copyrights.

This could get interesting. I will cross post this to the CC mailing list for
input from there as well. I think the only practical thing I see is to credit
artists in audio and credit all on a web page tied in to now and next.

Would such a plan meet the BY-SA requirements for streaming radio? What would
do for broadcast only radio? Any thoughts? (Directed mostly to CC list. Don't
know if the cross post was smart, but it seemed appropriate in this case,
sorry if it is not.)

> > In any case, I am learning the system and perhaps in a few years I
> > will know enough to suggest using it for the actual broadcast stations
> > I work for.
> >
> > > <NSHO> Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you *should*
> > > do it, something I think all radio broadcasters who are not Clear
> > > Channel, Cox, and Infinity ought to keep firmly in mind. </NSHO>
> >
> > If I can figure a way to have volunteer DJs do shows, I would like to.
> > One step at a time though.
>
> Cool idea. Distributed radio. Hmmm.....
>
> Cheers,
> -- jr 'Clear Channel... watch out!' a

  • Re: [RDD] Carts and Cuts, drew Roberts, 05/13/2005