cc-licenses - Re: Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:52:00 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:
> On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 09:48:03AM -0400, Greg London wrote:
>
>> If Alice writes "To be or not to be" and dual licenses it,
>> can't Bob come along and create the derivative
>> "to be or not to be, that is the question" and dual license
>> it as well?
>
> It depends on the licenses that Alice uses. If she uses the Frobco
> NoDualLicensedDerivativeWorks 1.0 and the Zedco
> NoDualLicensedDerivativeWorks 1.2 licenses, both of which prohibit
> dual-licensed derivative works, I think the answer is "no".

A license is a voluntary surrender of some rights by the author.

A license is not a contract between some third party,
such as CC or GNU, saying "by using this license,
you agree to NOT use any other license."
So I don't think ANY license is a "NoDual" license.

Alice owns her work as All Rights Reserved.
She decides to apply GNU-FDL to it.
She also decides to apply CC-SA to it.
She then also decides to license the same work
to MegaCorporation that doesn't have any copyleft
restrictions on it.

That she used GNU-FDL does not mean she can't use CC-SA.

And since she can put the work under two different
licenses, then Bob can come along and apply his
addition to both licensed versions.