cc-licenses - Re: Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Greg London" <email AT greglondon.com>
  • To: "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Derivatives of dual-licensed Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike and GFDL works
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 09:48:03 -0400 (EDT)

Evan Prodromou said:
> Hi. This mail is specifically for Dave "Novalis" Turner,

I don't know that means you only want Dave to reply or
if its sent for Dave and you want others to reply.
Either way, I'm replying.

If Alice writes "To be or not to be" and dual licenses it,
can't Bob come along and create the derivative
"to be or not to be, that is the question" and dual license
it as well?

Theoretically, you have two copies of Bob's work,
one licensed GPL, the other licensed CC-SA,
but since they're the exact same words,
I don't think there's anything wrong with putting
two licenses on the same work, rather than having
two different websites with the exact same work
but different licenses.

What you CAN'T do is mix Bob's GPL/SA work with
Charlie's purely GPL work ("to be or not to be,
that is the question. I knew him once Horatio.")
and end up with a dual licensed work. Charlie
is not required to dual license his work.
However, Bob is allowed to apply the change to
both copies of his work, maintaining a dual
license.

But then again, I still don't know what the heck
NonCommercial means, so don't ask me.

Greg

--
Bounty Hunters: Metaphors for Fair IP Law.
http://www.greglondon.com/bountyhunters/