cc-licenses - Re: CC-License for Transclusion

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Mike Linksvayer <ml AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: CC-License for Transclusion
  • Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 09:49:21 -0700

pavan AT gsdindia.com wrote:
I'm working on a transclusion project.
I thought why shouldn't we have a Transclusion specific License instead of a narrower CC-Wiki license?
Or a new CC-Transclusion Licence?
Can we devise one such Licence?

If transclusion is what I think it is (including external content, or in the concrete web case, including part of one web page in another wbe page), why do you need a separate license? The existing CC licenses, at least those that permit derivatives, would handle that case, no?

If the inclusion is done by reference on the client then my wild guess is that maybe you don't need to care about licensing at all, at least to the extent people can "frame" other websites without copyright concerns.

Hmm, I guess "client side remixing" https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/cc-licenses/2004-February/000407.html is just transclusion.

IANAL, etc.

--
Mike Linksvayer