cc-licenses - Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: wiki_tomos <wiki_tomos AT inter7.jp>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Wiki license 0.5 beta
  • Date: 4 Apr 2005 15:02:28 +0900

(Note: I am not a lawyer or even law school student. My views in this email
are my personal opinions.)

Regarding <project-name> attribution, here is my take, which no one seemed
to have suggested so far.

1) Authors have a right to use pseudonyms.

2) A group of authors are free to use a shared pseudonym in certain cases.
If I use a pseudonym "Stephen King" or "Larry Lessig" that would be a
problem, but working on a project and using a shared pseudonym for the
project's outputs is probably not problematic in terms of unfair
competition law (of the U.S.) or copyright laws (of other countries
when applicable).

3) A shared pseudonym could reasonably be a project name when the works
released are from the project.

4) The wiki license draft is not substantively different in terms of its
grants, restrictions, etc. It merely clarifies (and therefore reminds people)
that they can use a shared pseudonym.

5) The wiki license draft does not require authors to give up rights to
attribution, it merely gives an explicit option for authors to exercise the
right to use a pseudonym.

6) Authors do not give up copyright altogether, either. For example, making
a contribution to a wiki is not like creating a copyrightable work for a
company as a part of employment. In the latter case, the copyright may all
belong to the company, not the employer. In case of Wiki contribution using
this type of CC-by license, authors remain authors and copyright holders.

7) One consequence of 6) is that if I contribute my original writing
to a wiki using this license, I can still later publish the same writing
under my real name or other pseudonym that I choose, with the same or a
different license terms. All of this is possible because I am the author of
that piece.

8) Another consequence of 6) is that the project team or a project leader
cannot behave as if it/he is the author. Changing license terms is not
possible
without each contributors' permission, even though those contributors are all
identified by the same pseudonym. Not complying with the CC-by license
restrictions, etc. result in license termination, even if that is done by
the project team or leader. Again, this is because each contributor remains
to be an author & copyright holder.

How do you think? My view is not based on professional knowledge of law, and
my personal opinions, so I would appreciate corrections and objections.

Best,

Tomos