cc-licenses - Re: New version of Debian summary of Creative Commons 2.0 licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: drew Roberts <zotz AT 100jamz.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: New version of Debian summary of Creative Commons 2.0 licenses
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 16:13:44 -0400

As per discussions here last weekend:

"2. **Waive attribution after request to remove references**. It
should be made explicit that if the Licensor requires that
references to them be removed, this excuses the licensee from the
requirements for attribution. A modification to section 4b might
be:

[...] by conveying the name (or pseudonym if applicable) of
the Original Author if supplied *and no request has been made
to remove it*; [...]"

The above if from the file: ccsummary.txt linked to in your post.

In a country with "moral rights" this would not be possible and would in fact
be an illegal clause. (This is what I got from those discussions. Does debian
legal have an European lawyers that would care to comment for us?

New stuff:

"3. **Allow access-controlled private distribution**. The anti-DRM
clause should be changed to make it clear that the licensee can't
prevent others receiving the work from exercising the same rights
that the licensee has."

I think this may be a tough one. For instance, if someone is putting on a
play
that has been licensed under CC BY-SA, should they, or should they not, be
able to prevent audio or video recordings? And how would restrictions on the
actors images play into this.

If a digital version is being distributed under DRM protection, would it be
good enough if a a blanket license was given to break the drm in this case?
Would it be good enough to provide a link to the same version in non-DRM
format? (Or provide such a version on request ala the GPL source offer.)

From 4:

"You may not distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or
publicly digitally perform the Work with any technological
measures *that prevent the recipient from exercising the rights
granted..."

instead of any technological measures, should this instead say any measures
whatsoever that would inhibit the "recipient" from exercising that same
rights as the licensee has.

For example, publically performing a BY-SA licensed work in a theatre that
will not allow video taping or photography. Again, how would such a license
deal with the normal model release forms that would normally be required when
photographing someone? Do these considerations need to be included in the
license?

If not, an actors troup could put on plays, allow them to be filmed, but
block
copying and distribution of the videos over non-copyright issues. Right?