cc-licenses - Re: Draft plain-text versions of the Creative Commons licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Draft plain-text versions of the Creative Commons licenses
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 15:29:49 -0400

On Sun, 2005-03-20 at 12:42 -0800, Mike Linksvayer wrote:
Would be nicer still if all these steps could be handled by invoking a
single python function (with legalcode html utf8 string as sole
parameter, utf8 preformatted text as return value).
Perhaps Aaron Schwartz's html2text.py would be sufficient?
http://www.aaronsw.com/2002/html2text/
It won't fix up the typos in the license HTML version (like no space after the word "4. Restrictions") but I'm not sure that's necessary, anyways. Also, it mucks up the outline (prints numbers instead of lowercase letters), but I'll send a patch for that to Aaron soon.

I'm willing to do the tedious programming to go the last 5% if it means that Creative Commons is going to provide an authoritative plain text version of the licenses. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth it: the effort of automating this outweighs the effort of doing it by hand.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou
evan AT bad.dynu.ca

  • Re: Draft plain-text versions of the Creative Commons licenses, Evan Prodromou, 04/03/2005