cc-licenses - no-derivatives question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: James Nash <cirrus AT twiddles.com>
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: no-derivatives question
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:10:29 +0000

Hi there!

I'm a university student working on a report for my final year project. I want to license it under a CC license and the http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/ seems to match my requirements best, but I have a question regarding the no-derivatives bit.

I have chosen it to ensure that if my report is copied / distributed it remains unchanged. However, the wording of the license says: "You may not alter, transform, or *build upon this work*" [my emphasis]. Now while I don't want people to just take the report, make some changes and call it their own, I *do* want them to be able to quote it, and to reuse or build upon the ideas covered within it.

Can someone please confirm that people will still have this freedom with the above license and if not tell me which CC license I can use to ensure this.

Thanks!!!

- James

--
Personal site: