cc-licenses - Re: distribution of licenses

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Todd A. Jacobs" <nospam AT codegnome.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: distribution of licenses
  • Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 18:25:06 -0800

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 01:58:33PM -0500, Greg London wrote:

> commercial works) and the individual who restricts the community so
> that the original author remains permanently at an advantage
> (CC-SA-NC).

The implication being that there's no value at all in non-commercial
rights? That's awfully narrow-minded. Fan-fiction, as well as
educational, public-service, and hobbyist collective works are all
non-commercial uses which could benefit from a large NC commons; I'm
sure there are others.

It's obvious that we're not going to see eye to eye on this one. If your
agenda is to promote higher utilization of BY-SA licenses, I think
that's great: it would be nice to see more works allowing unencumbered
(an unencumberable!) derivatives. I just think the commons is big enough
to support everyone's agenda, regardless of where they fit in the
spectrum of rights.

--
Find my Techno-Geek Journal at http://www.codegnome.org/geeklog/