cc-licenses - Re: Which Licence would suit?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Evan Prodromou <evan AT bad.dynu.ca>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Which Licence would suit?
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 08:25:48 -0500

On Thu, 2005-03-03 at 08:47 +0000, MMP wrote:
The project will consist of a multimedia work of fiction, created through
the medium of a Wiki.

Although we don't expect the final product (if there can ever be such a
thing) to be commercially viable, we would nevertheless wish to protect
the rights of contributors in the event that we do end up with something
of interest.
What rights do you want to protect? Freedom of religion? Right of habeus corpus?

If you're talking about making money, get over it. Commercial publication of CC-licensed works has been pretty sparse, except for the occasions where book authors get their publishers to allow an already published work to be distributed under a CC license. I don't think there's a single case of it working the other way around (but examples may be there).

For a wiki: more so. It would be practicably impossible for a publisher to contact each and every one of your hundreds of contributors to get a contract for commercial use. It's infeasible. It's never going to happen.

If you're talking about making sure that their contributions, given freely, stay free, you should look at the Attribution-ShareAlike license. If you're worried about them getting credit for their work, look at the Attribution license.

~Evan

--
Evan Prodromou
evan AT bad.dynu.ca