cc-licenses - Re: What could PIPL mean?

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "Steven Ericsson-Zenith" <steven AT semeiosis.com>
  • To: rms AT gnu.org, "Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts" <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: What could PIPL mean?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2005 00:52:44 -0800

Richard Stallman wrote ..
> Well, /one/ thing that copyright and patents have in common is that
> people sometimes use them to keep us from sharing software with our
> neighbours.
>
> With all due respect, I think that statement is mistaken. Stopping
> people from sharing software is generally done with copyrights and
> with contracts, not with patents. Patents lend themselves, rather, to
> suppressing the distribution and use of a program against the will
> of its developer.

I agree with this point of view and recast it to observe that this is a
question of property law and those benefits yielded by employees to their
employer - typically large multinationals.

There seems to be a disproportionate trade between the paltry awards given to
employees and the value of their intellectual effort - in fact, it makes
employment an act of indentured servitude.

Sincerely,
Steven