cc-licenses - Re: public domain question

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: public domain question
  • Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:45:14 +0000
On 1 Feb 2005, at 18:29, Greg London wrote:

Unless someone can point to a logical fallacy in one of
those four steps, the argument stands.

You are arguing that guaranteeing free speech is a form of censorship. The first amendment is *not* non-free because it doesn't allow you to censor views that you don't agree with. Censorship is a form of expression! Yet it is limited to ensure that expression is not limited.

Censorship is also a way of making opinions proprietary. Copyright is a form of censorship considered in these terms (a limit on the free distribution of speech), one designed as a deal with the devil to ensure freedom of speech by limiting it.

Basically, I stand by my point that the freedom to express yourself in one sphere (code) should not necessarily be conflated with the freedom to "express" yourself in another (business).

- Rob.

--
Friends don't make friends do DRM.