cc-licenses - Licensing a work which includes computer program source code samples

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: "J.B. Nicholson-Owens" <jbn AT forestfield.org>
  • To: Discussion on the Creative Commons license drafts <cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Licensing a work which includes computer program source code samples
  • Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:43:42 -0600

Unfortunately, the threading on your article was lost and I can't find what the parent articles said in their entirety.

garrett AT donnael.com wrote:
More or less. I want to put the entire blog, including the code samples, under
CC-BY-NC, and then loosen up the licensing for any samples I post [...]

Since Creative Commons licenses are not meant for computer programs, and given that you seem to want to let anyone do anything they want with the code, consider placing the code under a non-copylefted free software license (perhaps the new BSD license or the MIT X11 license) and licensing the rest of the work under some CC license. The code will remain available for anyone to do as they wish (even making proprietary derivatives).

  • (no subject), garrett, 11/17/2004
    • Licensing a work which includes computer program source code samples, J.B. Nicholson-Owens, 11/17/2004