cc-licenses - Future plans

cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of Creative Commons licenses

  • From: Sigmascape1 AT cs.com
  • To: cc-licenses AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Future plans
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 13:01:56 -0400

Hi,

First, thanks to everyone who responded to my recent posts. The PNG metadata
issue is driving me nuts.

I have requested this in the past, but I am going to bring it up again. I
really would like to see more examples of people (or groups/companies)
releasing content with 'no rights reserved' or public domain showcased on the
CC website. Also, how about a public domain-oriented mailing list? There
aren't many days that go by that I don't use the CC site for something, and
find it critical to my efforts, but I believe more emphasis needs to be
placed on this area of licensing (yes, I realize public domain is not a
license). Dedicating content to the public domain is critical to the success
of the open content movement. The standard CC licenses are important, and I
know that the copyright middle ground that CC serves is also very important,
but I'd like to see some emphasis on public domain issues.

I am not trying to soapbox, I am just trying to remind everyone how important
the public domain is, and will be in the future.

Thanks!!!

MLF

www.sigmascape.com